Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Why Your Weekend Plans Should Include SIFF

Just over two years after I retired from teaching, I received an unusual email from a documentary film maker named Cady Voge. In that email, she explained that she'd been filming a former student of mine and her family for over four years. 

In that email, Cady wrote, "...I captured many moments at home with them. One such moments was a very sweet (and very brief!) moment that I captured of Mirna at the end of a session on zoom in one of your English classes. You had a lovely interaction with her and her son, Joshua, it's very sweet." She asked if I'd be willing to sign a release form to allow her to use the brief audio clip in the documentary. As a staunch believer in the need for wider coverage of the challenges facing refugees, I gladly signed and sent the release form. 

To my surprise, I received another email from Cady Voge last week - an invitation to the premiere of All We Carry at the Seattle International Film Festival this weekend, Saturday, May 18 and Sunday, May 19. An invitation I'd like to share with all of you. 

The film will also be streamed from May 20 to 27 for those who are unable to attend the premiere here in Seattle. Please take a look at this amazing link Cady shared and join me this weekend at SIFF! 



2 comments:

Pamela said...

Looks fascinating!

arleen said...

Thanks for reading, Pamela. I think it will be!