Monday, September 9, 2019

And I've Never Been to Vegas...

For me, writing began as an archeological dig. I wrote my first memoir, The Thirty-Ninth Victim, to make sense of the death of my youngest sister. My second memoir, Mom’s Last Move, led to a better understanding of my roles as the daughter of an elderly mother with dementia and the mother of a teenager daughter. Because I write to better know who I was and who I am, reconnections with past friends and university classmates became an integral to my latest memoir, The Ex-Mexican Wives Club, to be released this autumn. Now I have a crazy opportunity to explore the high school years!
I’m headed to a slumber party! Yup, a slumber party – with a dozen 65-year-old women! Women I’ve had little or no contact with since 1972. Some I’m not sure I had much contact with when we were in high school together! And slumber parties? Never!

I once attended a reading featuring the author, Ann Patchett. When asked about her writing process, she explained that she liked to put all her characters in a room together and watch what happened. That’s how I’m heading into this slumber party!

To add to the zaniness of my upcoming weekend, I'm doing a reading. I’m grateful to Wendy Marcisofsky at Copper Cat Books for organizing this event. If you’re in the Las Vegas/Henderson area, please join us! I’m excited to share Mom’s Last Move and am planning a sneak preview of The Ex-Mexican Wives Club as well. Hope to see you there!

Copper Cat Books
1570 W Horizon Ridge Parkway #170
Henderson NV 89012

1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Sunday, September 15, 2019

No comments: