Monday, June 16, 2014

When 59 is 60




That's a rain-soaked bike computer you're seeing. It reads 0.0 mph because I was stopped. (I really wouldn't take a photo while riding in the rain at dusk.) The next number tells time in the saddle: 4 hours 43 minutes. Yes, that's 59.65 miles at 7:54 p.m. (it was really 8:54 p.m. but I never reset the clock for daylight savings time).

We were drenched and tired when we climbed into the car. As I blasted the heat, I told my riding partner, May Toy Lukens, our mileage.

"Shoot," she said. "We should've ridden around the block."

"In this rain? Not a chance."

But I admitted I'd had the same thought. 60.0 would've been so much more rewarding than 59.65.

We'd just completed the Centennial Trail round-trip between Snohomish and Arlington, WA. A Rails-to-Trails Conservancy trail, the Centennial is a beauty of a ride. Flat and fast through Pacific Northwest forest and farmland.
Centennial Trail built over old railroad trestle
You've got to love an organization with a mission like this:

Rails-to-Trails Conservancy is a non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C., whose mission it is to create a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines and connecting corridors to build healthier places for healthier people.

We started in Snohomish and ended the 30-mile ride at Nakashima Barn, built in 1908. Then we returned. An hour or so from our start point, the rain caught us and I learned just how not-waterproof my vibrant green biking jacket really is.

Nakashima Barn, 1908
And how am I feeling this morning, you may ask. Tired, a few sore muscles, and immensely pleased about reaching 60 miles (almost). The first day of RSVP will be 106 miles, the second 82. With two more months of training, I just might be able to do it. I know May will!
May Toy Lukens after 59.65 miles!

No comments: