Monday, June 1, 2015

Finding Home: WALKING HOME An Invitation



I walked my home last weekend. I talked to shopkeepers and baristas, bartenders and booksellers, residents and tourists. I posted flyers and handed out postcards.

For the past two months a variety of writers' voices have graced this Finding Home blog series each Thursday. Their stories of home have been laced with family and friends, personal history and self understanding, physical structures and communities.

West Seattle is going through a period of unprecedented growth and change. As the wine shop owner put it, "West Seattle is growing up." Still, we recognize each other as folks do in a small town. And I know I am home.

I found home in this West Seattle community just as Kidane and Talisha find home in my latest book, Walking Home. So it is fitting that the flyers I posted and the postcards I shared were invitations to a community event: a celebration of the publication of Walking Home and the completion of The Alki Trilogy.

If you're in the Seattle area, I hope you'll stop by next Saturday for a taste of Ethiopia from Saba Ethiopian Cuisine, a beverage or two of your choice, and lots of great conversation.
 Beveridge Place Pub
6413 California Ave. S.W.
Seattle, WA 98136
Saturday, June 6, 2015
3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Seattle is a long way from the Horn of Africa. Despite escaping his country’s violence, Kidane is never too far from the nightmares and despair of his past. A new country, a new hope, and a new love may not be enough to save him. Only when he is able to face his worst fears can he have any hope of being truly free.

Copies of all three books in The Alki Trilogy will be available at discount prices at the party. If you are a Kindle reader, Biking Uphill is currently on sale for $1.99 and RunningSecrets is free to KindleUnlimited customers.

In today's publishing world reviews matter. If you enjoy my work, please take a moment to write a review on Amazon.com. Thank you!

2 comments:

Working Girl said...

Oh yum, Ethiopian food! And new book! I have two other things scheduled for Saturday but will see if this can be somehow fit in….. Meanwhile, congratulations!

arleen said...

Busy times in June. I understand, Working Girl. Hope you can stop by!
Arleen